Age of Worms: The Return
The Apostolic Scrolls
This minor artifact of the cult of Kyuss consists of a 5-foot-long sheet of vellum sewn to a pair of darkwood rollers. Several copies of the scrolls are thought to exist, and all have the same purpose—providing the user with the ability to contact one of the “Apostles of Kyuss” so it can perform a mass sacrifice in honor of its master. The scrolls are written in Supernal and contain a long and complex litany filled with horrific imagery and descriptions. Performing this ritual takes 24 hours, but it can be split into three 8-hour shifts over the course of three days. Once activated, the scrolls transport an ulgurstasta from the Wormcrawl Fissure to a single point within 100 feet of the scrolls as directed by the reader. The scrolls create a special containment sphere to protect the ulgurstasta during its growth period. The sphere is a 20-foot radius sphere of force similar to a wall of force. The scrolls themselves are protected by temporal stasis, and the two are connected by a beam of writhing green light. Each day that passes, the ulgurstasta gains 20 hit points, up to the maximum allowed. This hit point gain is permanent. During this stage, anyone who touches the scrolls can “feel” the ulgurstasta’s evil mind and can communicate with it telepathically. The ulgurstasta is ready to perform the final portion of the ritual once it reaches maximum hit points. The containment sphere is invisible, and feels like a cold, transparent barrier of rubbery material. The reader of the scrolls who created the sphere can touch it safely, but any other creature who touches it takes 4d12 + 14 necrotic damage.The reader of the Apostolic Scrolls can cause the sphere to vanish at any time as a standard action. The sphere can also be destroyed in one of the following ways:
- The sphere can be destroyed with a disintegrate, Mordenkainen’s disjunction, rod of cancellation, miracle, wish, or a sphere of annihilation
- The sphere can be destroyed by successful Religion check. The character must make a DC 35 Religion check. Failure causes a backlash of negative energy that permanently weakens the character (a Remove Affliction ritual can remove this condition). Success weakens the sphere enough that a successful dispel magic cast at it in the next 4 rounds against a Will defense of 30 causes it to vanish.
- If the original reader of the scrolls is slain, the ulgurstasta ceases to gain hit points and the sphere vanishes and the ulgurstasta is released into the environs, likely in an extraordinarily foul mood.
- If the reader of the scrolls releases the ulgurstasta once it has reached maximum hit points, it shimmers with a green light and permanently gains 2 action point and a +2 bonus to all attack rolls and defenses. Finally, an ulgurstasta enhanced in this manner now creates spawn of Kyuss rather than skeletons of any humanoid creature it swallows.
- Each copy of the Apostolic Scrolls works only once. When the sphere of containment is taken down and the ulgurstasta within is released, the scrolls become nonmagical. The lore within remains, however, and if consulted it grants a +4 item bonus on any Religion checks made about Kyuss and his cult.